Friday, August 16, 2013

'Emergence' tour

For those of you who are not familiar with Rachel E. Fisher's 'Eden's Root' trilogy, well, what have you been doing? ;)

The final novel is here! 

  
 The pieces on the board are in motion and with both sides gathering strength, each move will be critical. When the Truthers make a play for checkmate, the Seeders are forced to respond.

Fi and her companions will face greater challenges and higher stakes than ever before, because this time if they fail, it’s for keeps.

1st in trilogy

It is 2033, and the world hovers on the edge of explosion as unexplained crop deaths lead to severe global food shortages. In the United States, the Sickness is taking lives slowly, creeping its way into every family. Fi Kelly has already faced the Sickness in her own family, toughening her beyond her years. But a shocking confession from her dying father will push her toughness to its absolute limits. Saddled with an impossible secret and the mission of saving her little sister, Fi sets out to transform herself into the warrior that she must become to survive the coming collapse. Along the way, she will discover that evil can be accidental and that love can be intentional. 

2nd in trilogy

The mission of Eden must be fulfilled and Eden’s best Seekers are needed. Forming a new group they dub the Seeders, Fi, Asher, and Sean are joined by a new addition as they set out to bring hope and support to the Topsiders in the form of radios and heirloom seeds. As radio broadcasts begin to reconnect the survivors, the Seeders stumble upon mysterious broadcasts from unknown stations. When two of their own new radio stations go silent within days of each other, Fi and her companions realize that something is terribly wrong. Eden finds itself pitted against a growing and unknown force as their very mission lights the flames of war.



We are celebrating the 'Emergence' tour by sharing healthy recipes and personal thoughts.

Because I have a new hound dog pup -which should translate to "hell on wheels"- I haven't had time to experiment in the kitchen lately. So I do not have a food recipe to share. However, if you are like me, reading article upon article about the growing number of additives and carcinogens in practically EVERYTHING we own and eat (and I don't think I'm being dramatic here), then it's not just our food that we need to take control of. 

While experts are discovering such things as links between reflux disorders in cats with flame-retardant carpet chemicals, I am left gasping, wondering if my daughter's future is going to resemble Fi's. Why are we allowing businesses and manufacturers to continue harming us and the ones we love? What pisses me off is that most of us never saw it coming. 

Up until a few years ago, I had no idea that our food had been altered at all, let alone to the degrees it has been allowed to flourish unchecked. I never gave soap, shampoo, makeup, deodorant, or washing detergent a suspicious second glance.

I do now. 

I read every label, researching the words that look like they were pasted from a Dr. Suess book.

I read articles to gain knowledge in the war for my family's health (and that is exactly what this is becoming).

And I try to make smart choices. 

I am making a difference in my life.

As of this year, I stopped using household chemicals such as 409 (which probably stands for 409 illnesses this product will likely cause). Instead, I mix half water and half Hydrogen Peroxide in a spray bottle. It is a natural alternative and kills the same amount of germs as the cleaning products that are loaded with chemicals. 

Also, I now use my own homemade laundry detergent. I know, I know. You're picturing a scene from 'Little House On the Prairie' with Ma struggling to mix something in a huge bucket, sweat dripping from her brow. :) But making your own detergent is NOTHING like that. It is actually something fun that I do with my daughter. In the process, I am teaching her that she has the power to create. To create with her hands as well as create better choices. And I only spent approximately $30 for supplies three months ago and have used a fraction of them so far, all of which are natural to our environment. (Click HERE for the recipe.)

While my household isn't 100% chemical free yet, that is my goal. And I am pleased with the steps we have taken so far.

The distopian 'Eden's Root' trilogy is really a looking-glass into our near future if things stay on the course we are on now. Cancers will become the norm as health becomes a fairytale. And our food... It already looks nothing like the food our ancestors ate. And in the future, it may simply look like a nightmare. However, besides awareness, the 'Eden's Root' trilogy offers a sense of hope and strength. (So don't start weeping just yet! :) It comes down to the courage to speak up, to take charge. And that is something that every one of us can do.       

I would like to thank Rachel for creating such a wonderful series so pertinent to our current situation. The 'Eden's Root' trilogy raises awareness that we -as a community, as a society, as a world populace- need to stop "changing" everything around us and, instead, change our own behaviors and actions.  

The most important thing that Fi has taught me is that we all have the power within to be leaders, to invoke change, and to demand better.

So thank you Rachel and Fi ;) 
for making a difference!

Sites with great recipes:


(I only listed two, but they will keep you busy for HOURS! :)

!!!And don't forget to enter for a chance to win!!!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

2 comments:

  1. Ha!! I love it!! OMG... that's so true. Ingredients we know nothing about are hiding EVERYWHERE!!! You should share your detergent recipe, don't you think? I'm totally curious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I had the detergent linked but I think the it blends in to everything, so I made a better link at the end of that paragraph. And I love my detergent. I also make my own deodorant sometimes. The next battle will be making my own sunblock. :>

    ReplyDelete